The ACLU of Colorado is the state’s leading voice in defense of civil liberties and civil rights. The ACLU offers an excellent work environment in a spacious office in downtown Denver. Our expert staff and attorneys work with volunteers, fellows, and interns to protect and extend civil liberties in Colorado.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado (ACLU-CO) seeks a dynamic and experienced Field Organizer to lead grassroots and grasstops organizing activities that further the overall mission of the ACLU of Colorado, with a specific focus on shifting the cultural dialogue around reproductive freedom in Colorado. This full-time, salaried position will be based in Denver.
The ACLU is the nation’s foremost defender of civil liberties and civil rights. The ACLU of Colorado, founded in 1952 as the Colorado affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, is a strong, growing organization with thousands of members, supporters and activists across the state. We work in the courts, in the legislature, and in communities across the state to protect and strengthen civil liberties for all, drawing from principles articulated in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Our staff and volunteers work in a fast-paced, friendly and professional atmosphere. For more information about the work of the ACLU of Colorado, please visit our web site at www.aclu-co.org.
Under the direction and supervision of the Communications and Outreach Director and Field Coordinator, the Field Organizer will be primarily responsible for implementing the organizing components of the ACLU of Colorado’s reproductive freedom campaign and expanding the ACLU of Colorado’s grassroots network throughout the state. The Field Organizer will also work closely with the Public Policy and Legal departments, coalition partners, and the ACLU National Office.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement strategies to mobilize Coloradans across the state to defend civil rights and civil liberties and to reduce the stigma associated with reproductive health care.
- Recruit, train, and manage an active volunteer base to participate in local events, advocate for civil rights and civil liberties, and support public education activities.
- Mobilize and expand support for reproductive freedom among ACLU of Colorado members and activists.
- Conduct and coordinate outreach to ensure strong turn-out at town halls and public education events.
- Conduct and facilitate follow-up with attendees to assist and encourage them to take action.
- Work with communications staff to identify and train spokespeople.
- Develop persuasive and informative public education and outreach materials, including fact sheets, talking points, and sample letters-to-the-editor.
- Represent the ACLU of Colorado before community groups, including speaking at various community events.
- Work with online advocacy tools and new media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to promote events and communicate campaign messages.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Communications and Outreach and the Field Coordinator to develop creative tactics using video, graphics, social media and web assets that inspire our members and the public to take action and join in ACLU campaigns.
The Field Organizer should possess the following experience and personal attributes:
- A minimum 2-3 years of organizing, advocacy, or campaign experience with knowledge and understanding of the tactics and skills required to implement successful field campaigns.
- Personally committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil rights and civil liberties issues and their implications, particularly reproductive rights.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred.
- Ability to build grassroots and grasstops support, to identify opportunities for coordination with allies and coalition partners, and motivate volunteers and spokespeople for the campaign.
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Demonstrated ability to create and sustain coalitions of diverse individuals or groups preferred.
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities with strong time management skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills and ability. A self-starter and finisher with a demonstrated ability to manage details and follow-through with a minimum of direct supervision.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral. A positive, confident, professional and outgoing presentation. A willingness and ability to speak in public and to facilitate meetings and trainings. Bilingual, Spanish-English, a plus.
- A flexible team player that works collaboratively and shares responsibility and credit.
- Knowledge and experience working on reproductive rights advocacy is preferred, although not required.
- Ability to work full-time and occasionally irregular hours, including some nights and weekends.
- A willingness to travel within the state and a current driver’s license.
- Background in video production and graphic design preferred.
- Proficiency with computers: Windows, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative, InDesign, and WordPress in particular.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU of Colorado compensation scale. Excellent benefits package is provided, including paid vacation and personal days, medical and dental insurance, 401(k) with matching contribution, life and long-term disability insurance.
Send a cover letter and resume to: Jobs@aclu-co.org. Please put “Field Organizer” and your name in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
For opportunities at other ACLU offices, please check here.