The American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado (ACLU-CO) seeks a creative, dynamic communications professional to lead our online advocacy as a New Media Strategist.
The ACLU is the nation’s foremost defender of civil liberties and civil rights. The ACLU of Colorado, founded in 1952 as the Colorado affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, is a strong, growing organization with thousands of members, supporters, and activists across the state. We work in the courts, in the legislature, and in communities across the state to protect and strengthen civil liberties for all, drawing from principles articulated in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. For more information about the work of the ACLU of Colorado, please visit our web site at www.aclu-co.org.
The New Media Strategist manages the ACLU of Colorado’s online communications, with a focus on grassroots lobbying and advocacy campaigns. This position works with our legal, public policy, development, and communications and outreach departments, and reports directly to the Director of Communications and Outreach. The ACLU of Colorado is a fast-paced and ever-evolving environment and requires the ability to multitask effectively and complete tasks individually as well as in a team.
- Content creation and maintenance of the ACLU of Colorado website(s) (www.aclu-co.org) and social media platforms;
- Advance the ACLU of Colorado social media and email advocacy presence;
- Point person for email campaigns, including building pages, action alerts, creating assets using publishing tools, running reports, building and testing e-mails;
- Create eye-catching, shareable images, graphics, and videos that advance the ACLU of Colorado’s mission;
- Develop content for the Colorado Rights Blog, the ACLU of Colorado newsletter, the Annual Report, and for other advocacy and fundraising communications, both online and offline;
- Work across ACLU departments and projects to execute tactics for mobilization of members and outreach programs;
- Assist with media outreach;
- Identify and find solutions for internal technology needs related to carrying out the ACLU’s advocacy goals; and
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Excellent computer and internet skills, including MS Office, InDesign, WordPress, Sound Cloud, Adobe graphics, and video editing software;
- A keen eye for design, page layout, and general presentation;
- Solid understanding of Internet tools, processes and techniques for membership development, advocacy campaigns, list building and social networking;
- Excellent verbal, written, research and interpersonal communication skills;
- Effective and proven team process and project management experience;
- Detail oriented with strong follow through, demonstrated ability to solve problems, ability to meet tight deadlines and manage resources effectively;
- Experience with online marketing and cross-channel marketing in for-profit or non-profit settings is desirable;
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to civil liberties and the mission of the American Civil Liberties Union;
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values individuals and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance, and the ability to work with diverse individuals within the organization and broader community;
- Preference for Spanish-speaking candidates;
- Bachelor’s Degree; and
- A minimum of three years professional experience with online media advocacy and outreach, preferably with an advocacy-oriented, non-profit organization.
Salary based on experience and qualifications. Benefits include paid vacation and personal days, medical and dental insurance, 401(k) with matching contribution and life and long-term disability insurance.
Send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to: Jobs@aclu-co.org. Please put “New Media Strategist” and your name in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed as received. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled, which most likely will not be before April 1, 2017.
The ACLU of Colorado is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified persons including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals.