- About Us
- Our Work
- Our Issues
- Race To Justice
- Due Process
- Equal Protection
- First Amendment
- LGBT Rights
- Open Government
- Police Practices
- Privacy Rights
- Religious Freedom
- Reproductive Freedom
- Right to Petition the Government
- Rights of Immigrants
- Rights of Prisoners
- Rights of Women
- Rights of Young People
- Security v. Civil Liberties
- Voting Rights & Elections
- Take Action
- Get Involved
Youth Scholarship Programs
The ACLU of Colorado offers two scholarships for youth who are committed to civil liberties.
The Civil Rights in Action Award
The Civil Rights in Action Award is presented to a student or group of students whose activism exemplifies the ideals of the ACLU of Colorado’s mission: to protect, defend and extend civil rights and civil liberties. The award includes a $600 Richard Hershcopf Scholarship, established by Mr. Hershcopf's family to honor his commitment to civil rights and civil liberties.
The award recipient will be honored at our annual meeting, on our website, and in our newsletter. The recipient will also receive a $600 Richard Hershcopf Scholarship. This award was established by Mr. Hershcopf's family to honor his commitment to civil rights and civil liberties.
Past award recipients have been recognized for their efforts to protect student privacy and defend student free speech rights, to give some examples of the type of activism we honor. However, the variety of efforts that would be worthy of this award is as broad as the Bill of Rights.
Anyone may nominate a student or group of students, high school age or younger, within Colorado. The nominees do not need to be members of the ACLU. To submit a nomination, you must mail, email or fax nominations to the ACLU office.
ACLU of Colorado, Attn: Education
303 E. 17th Ave., Ste. 350, Denver, CO 80203-1256
Fax: (303) 777-1773.
Nominations must include:
- A letter describing the student(s) you wish to nominate, and the reasons for your nomination. The letter must include your name, address and phone number, as well as the name, address and phone number of the person(s) you wish to nominate. Please include email addresses if available.
- Please include 2 additional references that we may contact about the nominee.
- You may include supporting materials, such as newspaper articles, etc., that would be helpful in our selection.
- Nominations must be received by February 1 of the awarding year. They may be submitted anytime prior to that date.