The American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado (ACLU-CO) seeks a dynamic and experienced Communications Assistant. This full-time, salaried position will be based in Denver.
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) is the nation’s foremost defender of constitutional rights and civil liberties. ACLU of Colorado, the Colorado affiliate of the ACLU, is the state’s guardian of freedom, working in the courts, in the legislature, and in communities across the state to protect and advance civil rights and civil liberties for all. Founded in 1952, ACLU of Colorado is a strong, growing organization with thousands of members, supporters, and activists. For more information about the work of the ACLU of Colorado and the civil liberties principles we uphold, please visit our website at www.aclu-co.org.
The Communications Assistant advances the ACLU of Colorado’s strategic priorities by effectively articulating its mission through various platforms. This position works with our legal, public policy, development, and campaigns departments, and reports directly to the Director of Communications. The ACLU of Colorado is a fast-paced and ever-evolving environment and requires the ability to multitask effectively and complete tasks individually as well as in a team.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The ACLU of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and promote an inclusive culture. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer base with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates an environment where all members of our community can thrive. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, those who have been formerly incarcerated, and other members of underrepresented and marginalized groups.
The ACLU of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment.
- Support the work of the communications
- Ensure consistent, clear messaging that represents the ACLU of Colorado and its positions compellingly and convincingly.
- Draft and/or copy-edit a range of digital and print documents including press releases, newsletter content, major reports, advocacy and fundraising communications, and other communication assets as needed.
- Develop dynamic content for the organization’s websites, microsites, and social media channels.
- Ensure consistent, clear messaging that represents the ACLU of Colorado and its positions compellingly and
- Design and edit a range of digital media assets including social media graphics, newsletter content, major reports, advocacy and fundraising communications, and other communication assets as needed.
- Convey impact of charitable giving and build supporter familiarity with ACLU of Colorado’s work through compelling visual graphics and
- In consultation with the Director of Communications, determine ideal communication channels and tactics for distributing ACLU content, promoting advocacy campaigns, publicizing events, and making civil liberties accessible and relevant to communities statewide.
- Monitor social media channels for opportunities to
- Maintain cross-platform digital communications, including web pages, action alerts, social media posts, running reports, building and testing e-mails.
- Maintain systems for ACLU of Colorado internal
- Work across ACLU departments and campaigns to execute tactics for mobilization of members and advocacy
- Exceptional writing, story-telling and copy-editing skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including Adobe Creative Suite; InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Audition and Premiere editing skills are a plus; Microsoft Office, Word Press and additional web-based applications as needed.
- A keen eye for print and digital design, page layout, typography and brand
- Minimum of two years of relevant experience in communications or
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to civil liberties and the mission of the American Civil Liberties
- Detail-oriented with strong follow-through, demonstrated ability to solve problems, ability to meet tight deadlines and manage resources
- Solid understanding of social media management, processes and techniques for membership development, advocacy campaigns, and list
- Effective and proven team process and project management
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values individuals and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance, and the ability to work with diverse individuals within the organization and broader
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills. Fluency in Spanish is a
- Team player who inspires collaboration, lifts up the work of others, and maintains balance and perspective with patience and a sense of
Compensation and Benefits
Approximate salary range is low to mid-forties, in accordance with parameters of the nationwide ACLU and the Denver area nonprofit sector and taking into account skills and experience.
Benefits include medical and dental insurance, life and long-term disability insurance, 401k contribution, and paid vacation and holidays.
Send a cover letter, résumé, and references in an email with “Communications Assistant, ACLU of Colorado” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, which will not be before January 6, 2020.
For more information about the work of the ACLU of Colorado, please visit our website at www.aclu-co.org.