What can you do if you or someone you know is bullied or attacked

  • Document what happened. If you can do it safely, make video or audio recordings and take pictures. No matter what, write down what happened, where it happened, and when it happened. Do it while it is fresh in your mind.
  • Get the names and contact info for any witnesses.
  • Report it. Share what happened with at least one person or organization you feel comfortable with.

If you are in a public school, you can call Safe2Tell at 1 877 542 7233 or file a formal grievance. Look on your school district or college website for grievance and civil rights policies. Follow the procedure to make sure your grievance is complete and on time.

You can also file a grievance if you are in prison, jail, or a state hospital. Ask staff for the grievance procedure and follow it.

Your workplace or private school may have a grievance policy, too.

If you are bullied or attacked by your partner or a family member,  call 911 for immediate help or call the National Domestic Violence Hotline: (800) 799-SAFE (7233) or TTY (800) 787−3224 or Legal Aid.  You can also find county resources here.

File a complaint with the ACLU of Colorado.  We monitor civil rights violations throughout the state. Sometimes we can help with referrals or other aid.