The American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado (ACLU-CO) seeks a dynamic, experienced and articulate Media Strategist to manage statewide media relations and earned media coverage. This full-time, salaried position will be based in Denver.
The ACLU of Colorado, founded in 1952 as the Colorado affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, is a strong, growing organization with tens of thousands of members, supporters, and activists across the state. We are a passionate, highly motivated group of community leaders and organizers, coalition-builders, lawyers, and public policy and legislative advocacy experts, and we are looking for a strong leader with journalism, media relations or communications experience to join our team.
The Media Strategist manages media relations, earns media coverage, and advances the ACLU of Colorado’s strategic priorities by effectively articulating its mission through various platforms. This position works with our legal, public policy, development, and campaigns departments, and reports directly to the Director of Communications. The ACLU of Colorado is a fast-paced and ever-evolving environment and requires the ability to multitask effectively and complete tasks individually as well as in a team.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The ACLU of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and promote an inclusive culture. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer base with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates an environment where all members of our community can thrive. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, those who have been formerly incarcerated, and other underrepresented and marginalized groups.
The ACLU of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment.
- Ensure consistent, clear messaging that represents the ACLU of Colorado and its positions compellingly and convincingly.
- Manage media relations with local, regional, and national press to develop and pitch stories and maximize media coverage.
- Draft and copy-edit a range of digital and print documents including press releases, newsletter content, major reports, advocacy and fundraising communications, and other communication assets as needed.
- Convey impact of charitable giving and build supporter familiarity with ACLU of Colorado work by writing compelling articles and feature stories that are informed by thorough interviews and a genuine curiosity about ACLU issues and the people served.
- In consultation with the Director of Communications, determine ideal communication channels and tactics for distributing ACLU news, promoting advocacy campaigns, publicizing events, and making civil liberties accessible and relevant to communities statewide.
- Monitor media for opportunities to engage.
- Develop dynamic content for the organization’s websites, digital, and social media channels.
- Maintain cross-platform digital communications, including web pages, action alerts, social media posts, running reports, building and testing e-mails.
- Collaborate on and edit templated design layouts, and templated graphics.
- Work across ACLU departments and campaigns to execute tactics for mobilization of members and advocacy programs.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Exceptional writing, story-telling and copy-editing skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of three years professional experience in media relations, communications or journalism. Sufficient relevant professional experience can be substituted for education.
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to civil liberties and the mission of the American Civil Liberties Union.
- Detail oriented with strong follow through, demonstrated ability to solve problems, ability to meet tight deadlines and manage resources effectively.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Word Press and additional to web-based applications as needed. Adobe Creative Suite skills strongly preferred.
- A keen eye for design, page layout, and general presentation.
- Solid understanding of Internet tools, processes and techniques for membership development, advocacy campaigns, list building and social networking.
- Effective and proven team process and project management experience.
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values individuals and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance, and the ability to work with diverse individuals within the organization and broader community.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- Team player who inspires collaboration, lifts up the work of others, and maintains balance and perspective with patience and a sense of humor.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Approximate salary range is low to mid-fifties, in accordance with parameters of the nationwide ACLU and the Denver area nonprofit sector, and taking into account skills and experience. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, life and long-term disability insurance, 401k contribution, and paid vacation and holidays.
Send a cover letter, résumé, and references in an email with “Media Strategist, ACLU of Colorado” in the subject line to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, which will not be before November 26, 2018.
For more information about the work of the ACLU of Colorado, please visit our website at www.aclu-co.org.