American Civil Liberties Union of Colorado (ACLU-CO) seeks a dynamic and strategic Reproductive Rights Campaign Coordinator to develop and lead statewide campaign strategies focused on shifting the cultural dialogue around reproductive rights in Colorado. This full-time, salaried position will be based in Denver.
ACLU of Colorado, founded in 1952 as the Colorado affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, is a strong, growing organization with tens of thousands of members, supporters, and activists across the state. We are a passionate, highly motivated group of community leaders and organizers, coalition-builders, lawyers, and public policy and legislative advocacy experts, and we are looking for a strong leader who is passionate about gender equity, reproductive rights, reproductive justice, and reproductive healthcare access to lead our reproductive rights organizing and advocacy.
Working within the ACLU of Colorado’s newly-established Campaigns Department and reporting to the Director of Campaigns, the Reproductive Rights Campaign Coordinator will be primarily responsible for developing and implementing the organizing and mobilization components of ACLU of Colorado’s reproductive rights campaign. The Reproductive Rights Campaign Coordinator will work closely with the Communications, Public Policy, and Legal departments, coalition partners, and the ACLU National Office.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
ACLU of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and promote an inclusive culture. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer base with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates an environment where all members of our community can thrive. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, those who have been formerly incarcerated, and other underrepresented and marginalized groups.
ACLU of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment.
- Develop and implement strategies to mobilize Coloradans across the state to protect and advance reproductive rights, expand access to reproductive health care, and reduce the stigma associated with reproductive healthcare – abortion, in particular.
- Represent ACLU of Colorado in statewide coalitions and before community groups and organizations, including speaking at community events and forums.
- Mobilize and expand support for reproductive rights among ACLU of Colorado members and activists.
- Track and report progress toward campaign goals and grant deliverables.
- Identify and train spokespeople and work with Communications staff to initiate effective story-telling projects through print, web, video, and the Purple State Report podcast.
- Work with the Field Director to conduct and coordinate outreach to ensure strong turnout at town halls, Know Your Rights, and public education events.
- Develop persuasive and informative public education and outreach materials, including fact sheets, talking points, and sample letters-to-the-editor.
- Work with the Director of Campaigns and Communications Director to develop creative tactics using video, graphics, social media and web assets that inspire our members and the public to take action.
- Organize and lead Reproductive Roadshow events throughout the state.
- Work with the Public Policy Director and the Reproductive Rights Policy Counsel to implement strategies to engage activists on policy proposals impacting reproductive rights.
- A minimum 2-3 years of organizing, advocacy, or campaign experience with knowledge and understanding of the tactics and skills required to implement successful field campaigns.
- Strategic thinker with ability to identify challenges and opportunities and develop and execute specific strategies to maximize organizational resources and achieve goals.
- Ability to build grassroots and grasstops support, to identify opportunities for coordination with allies and coalition partners, and motivate volunteers and spokespeople for the campaign.
- Demonstrated leadership in a grassroots campaign environment preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral. A positive, confident, professional and outgoing presentation. A willingness and ability to speak in public and to facilitate meetings and trainings. Fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Personally committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil rights and civil liberties issues and their implications, particularly reproductive rights and especially abortion access.
- Ability to negotiate relationships effectively and work collaboratively with colleagues and staff in other parts of the organization, in the national office, in other state affiliates, and in partner organizations outside the ACLU.
- Willingness to work overtime or irregular hours, including some weekends.
- A willingness to travel within the state and a current driver’s license.
- Proficiency with computers: Windows, Microsoft Office, and internet research in particular.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Approximate salary range is low-fifties, in accordance with parameters of the nationwide ACLU and the Denver area nonprofit sector, and taking into account skills and experience. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, life and long-term disability insurance, 401k contribution, and paid vacation and holidays.
Send a cover letter, résumé, and references in an email with “Reproductive Rights Campaign Coordinator, ACLU of Colorado” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until November 26, 2018.
For more information about the work of the ACLU of Colorado, please visit our website at www.aclu-co.org.